Twin Cities In Motion
Twin Cities In Motion (TCM) is the non-profit organization responsible for organizing, promoting and hosting the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon – a top ten US marathon and “The Most Beautiful Urban Marathon in America”® – and a year-long calendar of running events. TCM, a respected industry leader for the past 38 years, strives to give the best experience possible to runners, volunteers, sponsors, vendors, spectators, and the community.
With a mission of promoting healthy lifestyles through running events and community outreach, TCM supports local youth and professional athletes and helps raise more than $1M annually with its charity partners.
Maturity, leadership and executive-level thinking are skills that are integral to the successful execution of the responsibilities of the Race Director (RD) position.
This position reports to the Executive Director (ED) and is responsible for the following:
- Direct the planning, organizing and staging of all Twin Cities In Motion races. Ensure that all races are accurate, safe, meet local and national requirements, including permitting, and meet the operational needs of TCM’s customer.
- Determine budgets and manage deliverables for all races.
- Manage three staff, including the Race Operations Manager, Senior Race Operations Coordinator, and Administrative Coordinator. Supervise their development and ensure their operations meet the needs of TCM’s customer. Ensure an optimal customer race operations experience from registration to the finish line.
- Lead an integrated team of staff and volunteers to execute TCM’s year round portfolio of events.
- The RD will work closely with an experienced team of volunteers that provide the operational foundation for the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Weekend of Events and year round.
- Serve as a member of the TCM’s executive team, helping drive organizational strategy and planning. Attend weekly staff meetings, monthly race committee meetings and event planning meetings.
- Work closely with all staff to execute events occurring year round.
Cross Functional Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively and effectively with the following areas:
- Marketing, Media, and Online Engagement on customer experience and communications.
- Senior Partnerships Manager on sponsor activation.
- Professional Athlete Recruiting on logistics and operations.
- Other duties as determined by ED, including bidding on national, state and local championships.
- Ability to clearly articulate a vision on how to direct and organize races and how to communicate that vision effectively to team members.
- A demonstrated focus on delivering an excellent product that meets the needs of TCM customers, with a set budget and human resources.
- Proven ability to work in partnership with an executive team to create strategic and visionary direction for an organization.
- Effective leader, able to build consensus among all constituencies. Proven ability to work with peer, community, and volunteer groups.
- Effective oral and writing skills; able to effectively interact with a diverse group of personalities.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and planning skills.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Ability to handle fast-paced, deadline driven environment, with attention to detail and ability to maintain a calm presence during challenging situations.
- Strong knowledge of running race management industry, including best practices, trends, vendors, and competitors.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed. Like all staff positions at TCM, the Race Director position provides significant event support at TCM’s 25 races.
- Ability to regularly lift weights for events up to 25 lbs. and occasionally weights up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to travel for industry related events.
Ideal candidate will possess:
- Minimum five years race management experience
- Minimum seven years project management experience
- Experience with non-profit organization and leading volunteers
- Four-year degree
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, salary qualifications and a resume by July 3, 2019 to email@example.com.