20 Questions, Miles of Answers- Brenner Sandberg
1. Name: Brenner Sandberg
2. Age: 31
3. City: New Hope, MN
4. Profession: Engineer
5. When (or why) you started running: I would say I started training for races back in spring of 2010. When I was in high school I always thought the act of running a marathon was out of reach and something I couldn’t do. Back then the most I could run was 3 miles. I was active with other sports but not running. Then in the spring of 2010 I was at the Minnetonka Half Marathon cheering on a friend run the race. I watch her finished and it dawned on me, 2 hours of pain and suffering, I could do that. Shortly after that race I signed up for my first half marathon and really started running.
6. Best Run/Running Experience: The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon 2011. This was the first race I were I had a bunch of training partners running with me. It was great seeing faces I recognized along the race course. My Dad also found me around mile 16 and biked parallel to me on the sidewalk shouting encouragement.
Dad: “Brenner, how do you feel?”
Me: “It hurts”
Dad: “Smile” as he takes a picture of me running.
Also I was able to complete my goal of running a sub four hour marathon.
7. Worst Run/ Running Experience: Crazy Horse Marathon 2012. I DNFed at mile 23. It was not a pleasant experience and I learned many things because of it. Like driving 10 hours home after DNFing a marathon is a bad idea.
8. Dream Training Partner: Not sure? I have been pretty fortunate to have my running group (Minnesota RED) to train with.
9. Training Shoe: Currently running in Brooks Glycerin 11
10. Favorite Running Route: Just a 1.5 mile strip on the Lake Minnetonka LTR Regional Trail near my house growing up. It was flat and sunny and felt great on summer days.
11. Favorite time of Day to run: Early AM when the sun is just rising.
12. Pre-Race Food: Granola Bars or toast and some jam.
13. Post-Race Food: Beer, its liquid bread
14. Favorite Running Accessory: I am sort of addicted to my Garmin watch now. I log all my miles religiously.
15. Current or Future Goal: My two big running goals are to finish the Leadville 100 race and qualify for the Boston Marathon.
16. Upcoming Race: FANS 24 Hour
17. Favorite non-running activities: Boxing, Jiu Jitsu and Disc Golf.
19. Pump up Music: I don’t like listening to music when I run. Before a race anything with a good strong beat gets me moving, ie John Cafferty - Hearts on Fire (Rocky IV training montage song).
20. Advice for a Brand New Runner: For me, finding a running group helped so much. I know I would not have accomplished all my running achievements if it was not for the encouragement, support and motivation of my group.
Brenner is on Twitter! Contact him at @Southpaw_22
Want to be featured on the TCM Blog? You can in 3 easy steps!
STEP 1: Copy/paste these 20 questions into an email. Answer them. You can be silly or serious, long-winded or brief. We want to get to know you!
STEP 2: Attach a picture of yourself! It doesn't have to be of you running, anything will do! Send us your Twitter Handle or Blog URL so we can tag you!
STEP 3: Email your answers to Vanessa@tcmevents.org with "20 Questions" in the subject line. You'll be contacted if we use your answers for a future post!