20 Questions, Miles of Answers- Janeen Christy
1. Name: Janeen Christy
2. City: Decorah, Iowa
3. Age: 43
4. Profession: Accountant
5. When (or why) you started running: I started to run when I was 38, to lose weight and get into shape.
6. Best Run/Running Experience: Finishing the Des Moines Half Marathon about a year after I had surgery. I didn’t come down for days; wish I could bottle that feeling!
7. Worst Run/Running Experience: A ten-miler the day after I had taco pizza. (I don’t recommend it.)
8. Dream Training Partner: Joan Benoit-Samuelson. I saw her run the Quad City Times Bix 7 just weeks before she won the first women’s Olympic Marathon. She's a strong role model for women and continues to inspire me.
9. Training Shoe: Saucony Guide or Omni.
10. Favorite Running Route: I have a thirteen mile trail around my town that’s cut through limestone bluffs and has some amazing hills and views. There’s a hill that I crest that makes me feel like I’m on top of the world.
11. Favorite time of Day to run: 7 AM.
12. Pre-Race Food: Oatmeal.
13. Post-Race Food: Chocolate skim milk and Jimmy John’s. Chased down with a glass of red wine and dark chocolate.
14. Favorite Running Accessory: My iPod.
15. Current or Future Goal: Finish my first marathon – the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon – and then continue to run well into old age.
16. Upcoming Race: The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon!
17. Favorite non-running activities: Cooking (especially pasta made with my pasta maker), going to concerts, reading, napping (which Runner’s World says is “the new cross-training.”)
18. Mode of Transportation: Preferably my own two feet, but my car (much more than I’d like).
19. Pump up Music: That I’m willing to admit? Viva la Vida, by Coldplay (live version; you can pretend the crowd is clapping for YOU!) Also, I’m not ashamed to admit that sometimes songs with bad words are a powerful motivator.
20. Advice for a Brand New Runner: You’re only competing with yourself. Don’t worry if you’re slow, because a slow mile still beats ten minutes on the couch – anyday.
Want to be featured on the TCM Blog? You can in 3 easy steps!
STEP 1: Copy/paste these 20 questions into an email. Answer them. You can be silly or serious, long-winded or brief. We want to get to know you!
STEP 2: Attach a picture of yourself! It doesn't have to be of you running, anything will do! Send us your Twitter Handle or Blog URL so we can tag you!
STEP 3: Email your answers to Vanessa@tcmevents.org with "20 Questions" in the subject line. You'll be contacted if we use your answers for a future post!