20 Questions, Miles of Answers- Chris Meyers
1. Name: Chris Myers
2. Age: 42
3. City: Chanhassen, MN
4. Profession: Bus driver
5. When (or why) you started running: In 2007, I was going to the gym 4 days a week but not really enjoying myself. I would do a 20 minute run on the treadmill to warm up and then move on to strength training. When I heard that one of my best friends was planning on running the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, the idea was planted in my mind of trying to do that myself one day. I ran my first 5K in November 2007 and my first half marathon 6 months later. In October 2008 I ran my first full and now 5 years later, I've completed 25 fulls and 13 halfs.
6. Best Run/Running Experience: I joined a group called Marathon Maniacs in 2010. We are a group of runners who are addicted to running marathons. We're the ones in the ugly yellow shirts. : ) There are over 9000 of us around the country. Meeting up with fellow Maniacs at races and sharing a few miles together during a race is one of my favorite experiences. We might never have met before, and we might never meet again, but for a few miles, we can run together and talk about past races or races coming up or anything at all! It's a great group! Everyone is so friendly!
7. Worst Run/Running Experience: Trying to run outside after a snow storm but before anything has been plowed yet sucks!
8. Dream Training Partner: If I won the lottery, I would hire a personal trainer to accompany me on a run a few times a week
9. Training Shoe: Merrells and Altras
10. Favorite Running Route: Lake of the Isles/Lake Calhoun/Lake Harriet
11. Favorite time of Day to run: Just after sunrise. Love to get up early and run! Makes the rest of the day so much better!
12. Pre-Race Food: A banana and a Larabar
13. Post-Race Food: My absolute favorite is a burger and a beer! In second place would be Pizza Luce. A very close third place would be a barbacoa burrito from Chipotle with chips and guacamole
14. Favorite Running Accessory: My Garmin watch. I feel naked without it. I can't imagine not knowing how fast I'm going.
15. Current or Future Goal: Qualify for Boston. Not going to happen this year, but with the right training this year, I think I can make it next year!
16. Upcoming Race: Red, White & Boom! Half Marathon and the TC Loony Challenge are at the top of the list! I have 6 other halfs I'm signed up for this summer and fall as well. If everything goes according to plan, 2014 will be a new record for me: 12 halfs in 12 months!!
17. Favorite non-running activities: Reading about running and dreaming about running! I don't have a lot of free time (my wife and I have our hands full with our daughter Nora who just turned 1), but after my daily run (I started a running streak last December), the free time I do have seems to consist of either reading a book or sleeping. Along with something off of Netflix once in a while.
18. Mode of Transportation: 2012 Honda Fit
19. Pump up Music: Beastie Boys, Black Keys, Moby, Daft Punk, R.E.M., U2. My running playlist is pretty eclectic.
20. Advice for a Brand New Runner: Start slow and don't compare yourself to other runners. Most of all, make sure you're having fun!
Want to be featured on the TCM Blog? You can in 3 easy steps!
STEP 1: Copy/paste these 20 questions into an email. Answer them. You can be silly or serious, long-winded or brief. We want to get to know you!
STEP 2: Attach a picture of yourself! It doesn't have to be of you running, anything will do! Send us your Twitter Handle or Blog URL so we can tag you!
STEP 3: Email your answers to Vanessa@tcmevents.org with "20 Questions" in the subject line. You'll be contacted if we use your answers for a future post!