20 Questions, Miles of Answers- Aura Carlstrom
1. Name: Aura Carlstrom
2. City: Plymouth, MN
3. Age: 51
4. Profession: Sr. Underwriting Consultant for United HealthGroup
5. When (or why) you started running: I've always been pretty active/into working out, but running has always been the fitness activity which came the hardest to me (okay, kicked my butt). About 5 years ago, I decided to give it my best shot to "conquer the beast that is distance running".
6. Best Run/Running Experience: Finishing my first race ever, the Monster 1/2 Marathon, in 2009 less than a month after my husband went through a medical crisis. He recovered extremely quickly, back in excellent condition by race time, and he and my dog were able to be there for me at the start and the finish both! We both are extremely grateful for our continued good health, and never take it for granted.
7. Worst Run/Running Experience: I'm a marathon runner, which means a constant marathon trainer....oh, so many to choose from...can't decide between getting caught in a thunderstorm 8 miles from home or "nature calling" when the only thing at my disposal to handle it for miles was, well, nature!
8. Dream Training Partner: I'd love to run with my dogs, but they're sprinters, not distance runners. Can I choose Meb after his awesome accomplishment??
9. Training Shoe: Usually Brooks, but currently New Balance. I'm embarrassed to admit I have 32 current pairs of running shoes, probably about 2 pairs away from being put on 'Hoarders".
10. Favorite Running Route: I am fortunate enough to live close to the Medicine Lake Trail. It's a gorgeous 7.6 miles loop, so I just go around it as many times as I need to (thank you, Garmin). I never have to cross a street!
11. Favorite time of Day to run: Midday. Heat doesn't bother me like it does most (now, winter training, on the other hand...).
12. Pre-Race Food: Tradition = a mini bagel with peanut butter and jelly. Weird, since I never eat PB&J otherwise, but after 6 successful marathons doing it, I sure won't change now!
13. Post-Race Food: Pizza and beer. I know, I know, re-hydrate first. I do!
14. Favorite Running Accessory: I agree with everyone that has said their MP3 player. I am impressed by people that can run long distances without music. That's 4 hours of listening to myself huff and puff!
15. Current or Future Goal: Hoping for the elusive Boston qualifying time in one of my 2 upcoming marathons this season. It's a stretch goal for me, but we all need to stretch!
16. Upcoming Race: Tough Mudder in July, Foam Fest (5K with a non-running friend) and Maple Grove Triathlon in August, and Elroy WI marathon in September. YIKES.
17. Favorite non-running activities: Hanging out with my hubby and dogs, cross-training in my favorite instructors' classes, and happy hours with fellow fitness junkies!
18. Mode of Transportation: I work from home, fortunate enough not to drive too far, but got the mandatory SUV when one lives in Minnesota when I do.
19. Pump up Music: Pop, rock and blues. At my age, there's a lot of stuff from the 80's on my MP3 that would make younger folks cringe, but I have a lot of current stuff too.
20. Advice for a Brand New Runner: Don't run too many days per week or ramp up too quickly. I only "truly" run 3 days a week (some of my cross-training involves some running) and cross-train 3 other days. I thoroughly believe that's why I, knock on wood, have yet to suffer a serious runner's injury.
Want to be featured on the TCM Blog? You can in 3 easy steps!
STEP 1: Copy/paste these 20 questions into an email. Answer them. You can be silly or serious, long-winded or brief. We want to get to know you!
STEP 2: Attach a picture of yourself! It doesn't have to be of you running, anything will do! Send us your Twitter Handle or Blog URL so we can tag you!
STEP 3: Email your answers to Vanessa@tcmevents.org with "20 Questions" in the subject line. You'll be contacted if we use your answers for a future post!