20 Questions, Miles of Answers- John Weeks
1. Name: John Weeks
2. Age: 51
3. City: Burnsville, MN / Fort Myers, FL
4. Profession: Computer Engineer at Merrill Corporation (St. Paul)
5. When (or why) you started running: My sister asked me to join her as a spectator at the 2012 Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon since her son was running. After he finished, I was watching the 5 hour runners finishing on the big screen. Right then and there, having never run more than a mile before in my life, I decided that I would do whatever it took to finish a real marathon in 5 hours.
6. Best Run/Running Experience: Every race is special, and every one is my best run ever. Discovering that I could run 10K without stopping by doing my first 10K was very special. Watching the sun rise between the twin towers of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge at mile 5 of the Florida Beach Halfathon was amazing. Running a half marathon PR a week after BQ'ing in a full marathon was a very unexpected thrill.
7. Worst Run/ Running Experience: Having an asthma attack at mile 11 of the 2013 Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon. I struggled to breathe and couldn't keep my heart rate under control, so I ended up walking from 14 to 24, finishing an hour later than my 3:45 goal. I still, however, fulfilled last year's dream of finishing the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon in under 5 hours.
8. Dream Training Partner: Anyone who wants to get out and run. I absolutely hate running alone, and often will not run if I cannot find someone to run with.
9. Training Shoe: Mizuno Wave Rider.
10. Favorite Running Route: Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge (Twin Cities), Caloosahatchee Riverfront (downtown Fort Myers).
11. Favorite time of Day to run: Early morning before I eat (any food in my stomach impacts my ability to breathe).
12. Pre-Race Food: Banana, Cliff bar (white chocolate macadamia) and 2 Cliff Shot gels (vanilla or chocolate-cherry).
13. Post-Race Food: Salty potato chips and chocolate (the one time that I get a free pass on my diet).
14. Favorite Running Accessory: Garmin GPS watch.
15. Current or Future Goal: Run the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim, finish an ultramarathon, run a half or full in all 50 states, finally conquer the hills on the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon course in 2014.
16. Upcoming Race: Med City, Grandma's, Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, Marine Corps Marathon, Disney, Boston, and anything else that I can fit in towards my 50 state goal.
17. Favorite non-running activities: Photography and writing, especially on aviation and architecture topics.
18. Mode of Transportation: I'm still very car dependent.
19. Pump up Music: I never run with music. If I am walking or hiking, there is at least an even chance that it is Sheryl Crow or the Kinks.
20. Advice for a Brand New Runner: Get out and run. It might be awful for a while, then only unpleasant for a while longer, but one day it will become magical and you will never be the same person again.
Want to be featured on the TCM Blog? You can in 3 easy steps!
STEP 1: Copy/paste these 20 questions into an email. Answer them. You can be silly or serious, long-winded or brief. We want to get to know you!
STEP 2: Attach a picture of yourself! It doesn't have to be of you running, anything will do! Send us your Twitter Handle or Blog URL so we can tag you!
STEP 3: Email your answers to Vanessa@tcmevents.org with "20 Questions" in the subject line. You'll be contacted if we use your answers for a future post!