20 Questions, Miles of Answers- Ben Lippert
1. Name: Ben Lippert
2. Age: 26
3. City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4. Profession: Web Strategist
5. When (or why) you started running: I started running way back in middle school. I went to the fall athletic meeting after school one afternoon to learn more about joining the basketball team. Turns out, basketball sign up wasn't until winter. That's when Phil Biteler, the cross country coach, asked me, "Have you ever thought about running?"
6. Best Run/Running Experience: Without question, finishing the 2013 IMT Des Moines Marathon in under my goal time of 3:30. I had trained hard for 10 months and battled a nasty hip injury to get to that point. Coming down the final stretch, in Downtown Des Moines, I got the most intense runner's high followed by tears of joy at the finish. I hope to someday feel that sense of accomplishment from running again.
7. Worst Run/ Running Experience: During a long, scorching training run for my first marathon, I experienced severe chafing on my right side from my phone armband. I still have the scar to show. Lesson learned: ALWAYS use BodyGlide on long runs and keep sensitive areas covered.
8. Dream Training Partner: I prefer to be a lone wolf when I run.
9. Training Shoe: Asics GEL-Kayano
10. Favorite Running Route: My fiancé lives in Chicago and when I go to visit, I love running Lakefront Trail north of Downtown. There's also a route around Lake Kampeska in Watertown, South Dakota that's beautiful, has little traffic and is just over half marathon distance. How cool is it to say you ran around a lake for your training run that day?
11. Favorite time of Day to Run: Evenings are best for me. I like running after the sun has gone down.
12. Pre-Race Food: PowerBar (cookie dough flavor) and a banana
13. Post-Race Food: Anything with peanut butter. Also, beer.
14. Favorite Running Accessory: I am a RunKeeper power user, so, my iPhone.
15. Current or Future Goal: My goal this year is to run a marathon in sub 3:15 and stay injury-free.
16. Upcoming Race: My next race is the GO! St. Louis Marathon in April — Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon in October. It will be my first time participating in both races.
17. Favorite non-running activities: I'm a 200+ average bowler, so there's that. How many runners do you know that bowl league twice a week?
18. Mode of Transportation: I bike whenever possible, but my Subaru Forester gets me to places that are more than just a few miles away.
19. Pump up Music: Gosh, this is a tough one. I really like Folk-type music when I'm running. However, my running playlist is all over the board. I've got rock, rap, indie and folk music mixed in there. Actually, the one artist that gets me really pumped up when I'm on a run is Minneapolis-based rap artist Brother Ali.
20. Advice for a Brand New Runner: Make sure you listen to your body. If something hurts, stretch it, ice/heat it and take necessary time to recover. Your fitness level will not suffer by taking a couple days off. In the long run (no pun intended), it does not matter if you're short on your weekly miles. Staying healthy and being aware of what your body is telling you are number one.
Want to be featured on the TCM Blog? You can in 3 easy steps!
STEP 1: Copy/paste these 20 questions into an email. Answer them. You can be silly or serious, long-winded or brief. We want to get to know you!
STEP 2: Attach a picture of yourself! It doesn't have to be of you running, anything will do! *Optional* Send us your Twitter Handle or Blog URL so we can tag you!
STEP 3: Email your answers to Vanessa@tcmevents.org with "20 Questions" in the subject line. You'll be contacted if we use your answers for a future post!