20 Questions, Miles of Answers-Ben Rydberg
1. Name: Ben Rydberg
2. Age: 21
3. City: Winona, MN
4. Profession: Social Studies Secondary Teaching Candidate-Winona State University
5. When (or why) you started running: 7th grade cross country, and I immediately felt like there was a feeling of belonging in the sport and can’t imagine running now that’s its influenced who I am so much today.
6. Best Run/Running Experience: Lakeville Applejack invite 2009. I was doing terrible up until the last 400 meters or so of the race(5k) and one of the juniors on the team, I was a senior at the time, caught up to me and asked me as we were about to start our final kick if I was going to let him beat me out in my last home meet of my high school career. If not for my teammate doing this I would not have had the motivation to get a kick together let alone feel content with the race. He exemplified what it meant to be a team that day and to push each other even when we were down. Plus I did end up outkicking him to which was a plus.
7. Worst Run/ Running Experience: My 20 mile training run for the 2012 Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon. I had been having some knee pain over my training period that year, and about a third of the way into my 20 mile long run my knee exploded in pain and I was barely able to keep it together to finish out the run.
8. Dream Training Partner: I wish my wife could outrun me. I could chase a toned runner gals back side to the ends of the earth. Or that dog Buck, from Call of the wild. The story of an Alaskan sled dog is inspiring to a runner.
9. Training Shoe: ASICS GT-2000. Been running with the same shoe since I started just renewing the model if they don’t have the previous years.
10. Favorite Running Route: The bluff trails around Winona. I love running hills.
11. Favorite time of Day to Run: early morning, helps me wake up and it’s a great time to think before traffic gets busy and starts making noise.
12. Pre-Race Food: any kind of pasta, mounds of it
13. Post-Race Food: any food I can get my hands on.
14. Favorite Running Accessory: my mind. I love how it keeps me busy on my long runs.
15. Current or Future Goal: running 50 marathons, one in each state.
16. Upcoming Race: Warrior Waddle 5k, then the American Birkebiener, team ortho half marathon, and my future marathons to meet my goal.
17. Favorite non-running activities: cross country skiing, reading up on history, music, movies
18. Mode of Transportation: my feet, being in Winona for college unless I have to get to a clinical I walk everywhere.
19. Pump up Music: Rudy and Rocky soundtracks, Waka Waka by Shakira, any rock music.
20. Advice for a Brand New Runner: listen to your body to know how far you can go, but don’t hold back too much. Don’t be afraid to go out there and push yourself to your limits or you wont improve at all.
Want to be featured on the TCM Blog? You can in 3 easy steps!
STEP 1: Copy/paste these 20 questions into an email. Answer them. You can be silly or serious, long-winded or brief. We want to get to know you!
STEP 2: Attach a picture of yourself! It doesn't have to be of you running, anything will do! *Optional* Send us your Twitter Handle or Blog URL so we can tag you!
STEP 3: Email your answers to Vanessa@tcmevents.org with "20 Questions" in the subject line. You'll be contacted if we use your answers for a future post!