20 Questions, Miles of Answers- David Odeen
1. Name: David Odeen
2. Age: 48
3. City: Saint Paul
4. Profession: Saint Paul Schools Building Engineer
5. When or why did you start running? I started running to help lose weight. I changed my diet and started running a block or two then 6 miles. The weight poured off.
6. Best run/running experience? Recently during a training run I ran 23 miles and felt very well after. I took a day off and resumed training feeling strong.
7. Worst Run/Running experience? When I was in 11th grade I trained daily for a 10K all summer and ran the race the day before football started in the Fall. I thought I was ready, but when the race started the runners shot out of the gate and I was left in the dust. I finished, got fairly ill after, but the next day I was fine and more prepared for football camp then everyone else.
8. Dream Training Partner? Anyone that could get me ready for Boston. But at my age I am fairly solitary runner.
9. Training shoe? Brooks Adrenaline 12's. Its a great shoe that never blisters my foot.
10. Favorite Running Route? Lake Phalen in Saint Paul. It's an awesome loop. Beautiful. The Gateway state trail is near by and I can hit that for longer runs and return to Phalen. It's a gorgeous lake. It's a great motivator.
11. Favorite time of Day to Run? Very early morning, before work. Four AM in the summer. Very peaceful.
12. Pre-Race Food. I enjoy an egg muffin with a little sausage or ham mixed in. Maybe some yogurt. I try to feel almost full for a long run.
13. Post-Race Food. Well, a nice protein strawberry smoothie with Greek Yogurt. That or a steak.
14. Favorite Running Accessory? My Motorola GPS watch. It also has a MP3 player built in. It functions beautifully.
15. Current or Future Goal. I want to run Grandma's next summer. I was going to run this year but sustained a pretty severe IT band injury and I could not go. I was very depressed because I was very ready for it. I'd love to do Boston but I am not sure I can get my time that low. It's tough.
16. Upcoming Race? The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, of course.
17. Favorite non-running activities? Family time. Reading a lot.
18. Mode of Transportation: Dodge Ram
19. Pump up Music? Rage, Kidd Rock, Metallica, and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
20. Advice for a Brand New Runner? Run, and just do it. You will feel so much healthier. Humans are meant to be active.
Keep up with David by following him on Twitter @dtodeen and find out how is October 6 race went!
Want to be featured on the TCM Blog? You can in 3 easy steps!
STEP 1: Copy/paste these 20 questions into an email. Answer them. You can be silly or serious, long-winded or brief. We want to get to know you!
STEP 2: Attach a picture of yourself! It doesn't have to be of you running, anything will do!
Optional* Send us your Twitter Handle or Blog so we can tag you!
STEP 3: Email your answers to Vanessa@tcmevents.org with "20 Questions" in the subject line. You'll be contacted if we use your answers for a future post!